Friday 25 November 2011

Week 10 - My Structured Garment: Part 1

Now that we have come to the final stages, it's time to produce a structured garment. I enjoyed doing the pleating  and draping, so I decided to use both of the techniques to make my garment. I liked the combination, as the pleating  challenged me to do something different, whilst on the other hand the draping gave off a sort of Roman cultured look, which I thought complimented each other well. I also thought the mixture of the draping and pleating would create something contrasting, diverse and individual.

The fabric I used was a silver glittered type of heavy cotton. I chose this fabric because it is unique and bold. outs. Furthermore, I felt it would pleat and drape as well as calico does.

Step 1

The first step was to cut the fabric for the pleats and then make the templates.


Then I went on to pleat the fabric.I did so by laying the fabric inbetween the two templates, which formed the pleats. Afterwards, I applied hot steam to them to create the pleats that would stay in place.  
I then went on to make the bodice, using the pattern I made in Week 9.



I then played around trying different ways to join the pleats to the bodice and drape the fabric around the bodice. After that i created boxes and a rose to give my garment a original look.











No comments:

Post a Comment